[Libreoffice] LibreOffice config migration

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Thu Oct 14 01:54:22 PDT 2010

Mechtilde wrote:
> please don't take any user information from older version without any
> agreemaent of the user
>
> If you do so you haven't the possibilityy to start *office with a new
> user directory e.g in case you destroy something yourself.
>
> If you don't want a dialog then create a user directory with the defaut
> setting as you do it on a mschine where this *office is installed the
> first time

Hi Mechtilde, all,

well, this is surely not an easy decision to make - but there's
definitely a way to have LibO use a clean user dir, if you need it:

 -env:UserInstallation=file:///path/to/config

So if we can agree that migrating user configuration is a sensible
thing for the majority of the users, we should default to that -
and fix all bugs that make this experience a bad one (including a
prune of the 2.x migration from known-bad things - I need your help
here, Mechtilde, you have a fancy ooo2 dir, with stuff I don't
have).

Having less options, and not hiding a sensible feature like config
migration away in a menu, is generally a good thing, I guess.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten