[Libreoffice] LO: Linux distro specific packages vs. universal build

Fridrich Strba fstrba at novell.com
Thu Oct 14 07:55:40 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 16:45 +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> 2. user configuration:
>
> 	+ ~/.libreoffice/3 - used by the universal linux build
> 	+ ~/.libreoffice/3-<distro> - proposed alternative
>                    distro-specific path, e.g. ~/.libreoffice/3-suse
> 	I tried to use the same directory but the other build did not
>         start because incompatible berkley DB, see the attached
>         screenshot

Ok, when we were distributing GoOo as OpenOffice_org, we were using
~/.ooo3, why not to use something like ~/.libo3 ? Other, long-run task
could be to use sqlite3 instead of Oracle-owned berkeley db :)

> 3. package names:
> 	+ libreoffice-ure, libreoffice3*, libobasis3.3* - used by the
>           universal Linux build
> 	+ libreoffice* - preferred distro-specific package name
>
>         The universal and distro-specific packages can be installed in
>         parallel because they use different paths. The only problem is
>         the same name for the libreoffice-ure package. I suggest to
>         rename it to libreoffice3-ure in the universal linux build.

I don't see any problem with this as long as we catch all the
occurencies for 3.3.0-beta3 and advise the community again to uninstall
before installing :)

Cheers

F.