[Libreoffice] Getting rid of PAM

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Sep 30 06:59:28 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 22:41 +0900, Seo Sanghyeon wrote:
> Someone asked on IRC:
>
> <nadavvin> just wondering, Why OO depend as essential depend in libpam?
> <mmeeks> nadavvin: it's a good question though: no idea ;-)
>
> I investigated this a bit, and it seems PAM is used by something named
> logonUser in ure/sal. But logonUser is not used by anything above that,
> according to grep.

Hmm, it *is* a good question :-). It is used in e.g.
vos::OSecurity::logonUser, but that *itself* seems unused and vos is on
the list of things to try and get rid of entirely.

I'd stick it as a subtask of removing vos. On one hand the sal API is
one of the few bits of OOo which is publicly exported explicitly to be
usable by third party code like extensions and so forth, so maybe its
not a brilliant idea to get rid of it. On the other, if its not in
practice being used it can be stripped down and deprecated. Worth a
revisit when vos goes.

C.