[Libreoffice] LibreOffice 3.4 Beta 1 available

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Fri Apr 15 15:58:51 PDT 2011

Hi Christian, *,

Christian Lohmaier wrote (16-04-11 00:32)

>> Will try to download again tomorrow - however is too slow now.
>
> Use BitTorrent...
>
> But yes, packaging is a mess :-/
>
> * Installer file name scheme was changed (now there is a URE package,
> and I had to adapt the javascript, would have been nice to have known
> beforehand)
> * desktop-integration packages have wrong version-info
> * lots of file conflicts in packages (extensions packages and also
> core ones of 3.4 conflict with packages from 3.3 because the same
> filepath is used)

Ah, that explains other complaints that I see.

> → can't update 3.3.2 to 3.4 because of the packaging conflicts.
> → can't just install 3.4 along with 3.3.2
>
> Either 3.4 is allowed to be installed in parallel to 3.3, or not. In
> the latter case it should obsolete/replace 3.3.2, not throw conflicts
> at the user.

I always use this method
   http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel
which never gives any dependency / replacing / integration issues.
However, $ ~/libreoffice/program/soffice doesn't do anything (nor
swriter, *)

> This definitely is a problem that needs to be resolved before RC

I think I will keep the release of this beta as a secret. Anyhow there
is more than enough interesting news :-)

Cor

--
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org