[Libreoffice] Proposing a new Easy Hack - project consistent namespaces

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Apr 19 14:17:49 PDT 2011

Hi Caolán,

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:55:59 +0100
Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:

> namespace libreoffice = com::sun::star;, or something of that nature,
> in some header probably isn't the worst idea in the world. Though it
> does generate a lot of churn to go around changing anything, and the
> other language bindings, e.g. java and so on, wouldn't be affected,
> which i guess has the potential for some extra confusion.

IMHO doing a "gradual migration" is not a good idea here. Such
things should be done in one deep cut, because:
- having two names for the same thing will just add to newcomer
  confusion, esp. if he ends up in a piece of code that mixes both
  happily. This will one only have benefits once it is completed and
  will even hurt in the meantime.
- historical evidence (tools string vs. sal string) shows how well
  "gradual transitions" work when not tightly enforced.
- we will not tightly enforce this one as it is not providing essential
  benefits compared to other work.
- while it is true that this can be done by EasyHackers, I really dont
  thing there is any lack of EasyHacks. There are other tasks like:
  http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks#Get_rid_of_SV_DECL_VARARR.2C_SV_DECL_VARARR_PLAIN.2C_SV_DECL_VARARR_SORT_....
  (or migration to the new build system) that also only really benefit
  the project when fully completed. It is better to have one such
  EasyHacks finished (and being rewarded by the benefit) than having
  five such EasyHacks finished 20% (or even 50%) and having no benefit
  for the project whatsoever.

Just my 2 euro cents,

Bjoern

--