[Libreoffice] consistent namespaces & future breakage ...

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Wed Apr 20 08:13:17 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 16:43 +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> Hi Michael, Hi all,
>
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:02:06 +0100
> Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com>
> wrote:
> > 	Having said that - I think we probably want to have a
> > flag-day at some stage perhaps a 4.0, and it is worth collecting
> > things we want to do then, so we remember to do them all - I suggest
> > having a tracker bug for that would be helpful. If we reconcile
> > ourselves to breaking the plugin ABI (and API) incompatibly, and the
> > necessity of re-compiling plugins for a next major version [ which
> > seems to me to be sensible ], I guess there are a lot of things we'd
> > like to have then:
> >
> > [... long list of snafus follows ...]
>
> Agreed. Essentially you are proposing a new API version and to get rid
> of all the known historic ugliness. I think we should start more
> freeform on a wikipage before solidifying in the bug tracker at least
> in the beginning, when the discussion is still very fluid. Otherwise we
> would end up with endless bug splits and merges as the topics can be
> highly interdependent.

Yup, having a wiki page to collect our thoughts would be a great idea.
While we are talking about re-designing our API, I would also like to
reduce the use of UNO API in the core implementation code, which have
time and time again caused all sorts of performance issues,
over-complicating code, and made the code unbelievably hard to trace.
IMO there are places where we shouldn't have used UNO API at all, and
I'd like to keep clean separation between the core code and the API
layer (so that the core code won't depend on the API to do its thing too
much).

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc