[Libreoffice] DDEInitiate bug

Knut Olav Bøhmer bohmer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 04:26:12 PDT 2011

On 27 July 2011 14:06, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> wrote:

> Hi Knut,
>
> On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 23:20 +0200, Knut Olav Bøhmer wrote:
> > >        Sadly I don't know. I imagine you need to avoid the splash
> binary - and
> > > run soffice.bin. I would be tempted to remove soffice.exe rename
> > > soffice.bin -> soffice.exe and debug that way.
> >
> > I found it.
> > devenv /debugexe program args
>
>         Great ;-)
>
> > I had to "cd URE\bin\" because I got an error message about sal3.dll.
> > Why does we have two binaries?
>
>         Well - one in theory is a small binary that passes its arguments to
> the
> main 'factory' process that is running: this speeds up the 2nd launch.
> Unfortunately the 'small-ness' of that binary is bloated to (was it 3 or
> 6 Mb I forget) by all the embedded icons needed for associating that
> with the umpteen file-types we support [ or something ].
>
> > > Oooh ! and if you can build / debug on windows :-) perhaps you could
> > > help fix the dumb-ness that we duplicate many megabytes of icons
> between
> > > soffice.bin and soffice.exe (?) it requires only a small set of hacks I
> > > think.
> >
> > Do you have more information?
>
>         Those same icons are then all present in soffice.bin as well in
> order
> to get window icons correct. Instead of that we should just be loading
> the window icons from our images.zip [ where they also live ], and
> setting them on the window at run-time I think.
>
>        That is what we do for the gtk+ backend, cf. GtkSalFrame::SetIcon
> and
> just needs replicating for Windows - so we can drop that duplication.
> gtk+ has a means of doing this for windows, so there is the API support
> there somewhere.

Now that I have my DDEInitiate-bug-workaround tested (and it works) I have
some more time to do this.
I think I should first find a solution to the DDEInitiate bug in
LibreOffice, then I could start to work on the icon isssue.
It sounds doable, as I can look in to what the Gtk version does.

I have updated the bug-report at
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/process_bug.cgi

Should the icon-issue be registered in the bugtracking system?

--
Knut Olav Bøhmer