[Libreoffice] Reporting an error when loading of a component fails

Noel Power nopower at novell.com
Wed Aug 3 03:08:13 PDT 2011

( /me must remember to reply-all )
Hi Lubos
On 02/08/11 13:58, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>   last week .docx support was broken because of a mistake during the gbuild
> changes and I wasted quite some time finding out what was wrong. As something
> similar had happened to me already
same for me ( too many times )
>   before I'd like to apply the attached
> patches. However I have some issues with it:
>
> - the error dialog that pops up just says 'General error. General input/output
> error.', which is completely unhelpful, however I don't feel like digging
> more for how to pass the information as far as the place where the dialog is
> shown,
hmm I think it would be nicer to handle at least the
CannotActivateFactoryException problems from the filter instatiations
and pop a dialog ( debug output to terminal especially on weirdy windows
is not the best way to see this problem ), I vaguely recall the twisted
mechanism for getting some dialogs to pop with the interaction handler
stuff, I will have a look
>   so I'd like to add at least debug output
>
> - the debug output in the patch is done just using fprintf(stderr), as I
> cannot find anything that would simply log a debug message and not do more -
> is there anything like that in LO?
>
> - osl_loadModule*() functions are plain C functions from stable API, so no
> overloading to add the extra argument for the error message, the best I've
> come up with was simply a wrapper around dlerror(), which I admit is not very
> nice API either, would there be any better approach?
don't see one, don't see that it is so bad either

Noel