[Libreoffice] Reporting an error when loading of a component fails

Noel Power nopower at novell.com
Wed Aug 3 05:02:08 PDT 2011

On 03/08/11 11:08, Noel Power wrote:
> ( /me must remember to reply-all )
> Hi Lubos
> On 02/08/11 13:58, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>>   Hello,
>>
>>   last week .docx support was broken because of a mistake during the
>> gbuild
>> changes and I wasted quite some time finding out what was wrong. As
>> something
>> similar had happened to me already
> same for me ( too many times )
>>   before I'd like to apply the attached
>> patches. However I have some issues with it:
>>
>> - the error dialog that pops up just says 'General error. General
>> input/output
>> error.', which is completely unhelpful, however I don't feel like
>> digging
>> more for how to pass the information as far as the place where the
>> dialog is
>> shown,
> hmm I think it would be nicer to handle at least the
> CannotActivateFactoryException problems from the filter instatiations
> and pop a dialog ( debug output to terminal especially on weirdy
> windows is not the best way to see this problem ), I vaguely recall
> the twisted mechanism for getting some dialogs to pop with the
> interaction handler stuff, I will have a look

maybe this patch is useful to you, it has the disadvantage of creating
the needed error dialog but then it also pops up the "General Error" one
after that. I contemplated throwing ( well I actually half implemented
it but gave up ) the exception up to allow SfxBaseModel::load to handle
it but it appears there is all sorts of stuff inbetween that runs ( not
expecting an exception ). Not passing an exception but setting a new (
or reusing an existing ) ERROR_IO_xxx ( or something )  also has
problems like you can't easily ( or at all ) pass the error message,
also I suppose you could use such a new error type to suppress the
second 'General Error' but in the end it all just seemed too much
trouble for what probably is just something you want in debug ( I guess )
So.. anyway patch attached if you think it might be useful, feel free to
use/disregard/change totally etc.

Noel