[Libreoffice] Reporting an error when loading of a component fails

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Aug 4 04:01:59 PDT 2011

On Wednesday 03 of August 2011, Noel Power wrote:
> On 03/08/11 11:08, Noel Power wrote:
> > ( /me must remember to reply-all )

 Decent mailers have 'Reply-To-List' :).

> > hmm I think it would be nicer to handle at least the
> > CannotActivateFactoryException problems from the filter instatiations
> > and pop a dialog ( debug output to terminal especially on weirdy
> > windows is not the best way to see this problem ), I vaguely recall
> > the twisted mechanism for getting some dialogs to pop with the
> > interaction handler stuff, I will have a look
>
> maybe this patch is useful to you, it has the disadvantage of creating
> the needed error dialog but then it also pops up the "General Error" one
> after that. I contemplated throwing ( well I actually half implemented
> it but gave up ) the exception up to allow SfxBaseModel::load to handle
> it but it appears there is all sorts of stuff inbetween that runs ( not
> expecting an exception ). Not passing an exception but setting a new (
> or reusing an existing ) ERROR_IO_xxx ( or something )  also has
> problems like you can't easily ( or at all ) pass the error message,
> also I suppose you could use such a new error type to suppress the
> second 'General Error' but in the end it all just seemed too much
> trouble for what probably is just something you want in debug ( I guess )
> So.. anyway patch attached if you think it might be useful, feel free to
> use/disregard/change totally etc.

 I agree that ideally the code should be changed to make the error dialog
actually show what the problem was, but there are the problems you mention,
that's why I wanted to at least push the patch I have, so that there is at
least some detection. It it probably still better than showing two dialogs.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz