[Libreoffice] ccache support

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 8 02:40:33 PDT 2011

Hi Lubos,

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> On Monday 08 of August 2011, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>> I've pushed
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=57cf026739a3d707378
>>ca38f59518b018fccca8f
>>
>> This try to automatically use ccache when present, unless CC= or CXX=
>> was specified by the user or --disable-ccache was passed to autogen
>> This also detect if CC or CXX is already an alias for ccache, in which
>> case ccache is not prefixed to CC and/or CXX
>
>  I disagree with this change, as it does not improve anything for anybody.
> Ccache needs an explicit setup for LO anyway,

No, no specific setup necessary, using the symlinks or exporting
CC/CXX is standard way.

> so people who have already done
> their setup will need to adjust for this. People who only have ccache
> installed but haven't done anything will get slower builds, as the default
> ccache cache size is vastly unsufficient for LO builds,

Not true either. Default ccache size is 1GB, and that is enough when
you focus on one branch. (a build uses less than 500MB)

> so ccache will only
> create cache contents that will be eventually thrown away without any use.

At least this is not the case.
But of course compiling LO with ccache might throw out your other
project's content, so I understand your point.
As I have ccache setup using the symlink approach on all my systems, I
don't care...

(but I just realized that --disable-ccache doesn't actually disable
ccache when using symlinks - you would need to set CCACHE_DISABLE in
this case)

ciao
Christian