[Libreoffice] ccache support

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Aug 8 02:51:29 PDT 2011

On Monday 08 of August 2011, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> > On Monday 08 of August 2011, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> >> I've pushed
> >> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=57cf026739a3d707
> >>378 ca38f59518b018fccca8f
> >>
> >> This try to automatically use ccache when present, unless CC= or CXX=
> >> was specified by the user or --disable-ccache was passed to autogen
> >> This also detect if CC or CXX is already an alias for ccache, in which
> >> case ccache is not prefixed to CC and/or CXX
> >
> >  I disagree with this change, as it does not improve anything for
> > anybody. Ccache needs an explicit setup for LO anyway,
>
> No, no specific setup necessary, using the symlinks or exporting
> CC/CXX is standard way.

 By setup I meant increasing the ccache size, although I didn't realize that
LO build might fit if one builds without any debug info.

> > so people who have already done
> > their setup will need to adjust for this. People who only have ccache
> > installed but haven't done anything will get slower builds, as the
> > default ccache cache size is vastly unsufficient for LO builds,
>
> Not true either. Default ccache size is 1GB, and that is enough when
> you focus on one branch. (a build uses less than 500MB)

 This is not true if the build uses any kind of debug info, and I would find
it a really nasty surprise that one would need to explicitly adjust ccache
when enabling debug build. I think this feature is trying to be way too
clever.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz