[Libreoffice] How to call from one component to another (sw->starmath)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Aug 17 23:27:16 PDT 2011

On Thursday 18 of August 2011, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> Hi Lubos,
>
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:09:19 +0200
>
> Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> >  No, starmath doesn't need to call back to writer. The problem is
> > that this is still needlessly complicated. How about the attached
> > patch?
>
> While it works, I would prefer if the 10.000-feet-view of the project
> stays reasonably understandable

 I can't say I find the project reasonably understandable, no matter from how
many feet I look.

> as the codebase as is is already hard
> enough to grok -- esp. for newcomers. One of the few sane structurings
> of the codebase is:
>

> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort/Dependenc
>ies#Office_modules

 Is that true in practice? Sw and writerfilter have a hard depedency on filter
already. I only added few more dependencies to starmath that sw already has
as a dependency (sax, oox, msfilter). So I don't see how I made it any worse.

> which certainly could use improvement, but tearing it down without
> having resources and a good plan for a better structure is not a good
> idea IMHO. So why not go with Caolans proposal?

 Because, and I know I'm repeating myself, that's needlessly complicated, and
the fact that everything is needlessly complicated is one of the major
reasons why the codebase is hard to grok. And as long as new code is written
like the old code it will stay so.

 Finally, one important reason I didn't go with Caolan's proposal was that I
expect it probably wouldn't work, or would take a lot of time getting to work
properly (I wasted several hours trying to implement a solution with UNO
interfaces first). But I admit I lack the motivation to try it out for sure
when I have a nice, clean and working solution in place.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz