[Libreoffice] about the removing of binfilter

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Fri Aug 19 16:19:57 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Michael Meeks schrieb:
> Hi Jean,
>
> On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 22:51 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
>> But the removing of the import of old formats is another story. I am
>> already hearing end-users complaining against this decision.
>
> 	Where, can you give some links to that ? and why are they still using a
> file format deprecated for a decade+ instead of ODF :-)

I have started a thread "Alte StarOffice Formate" in the German Usenet
group de.comp.office-pakete.staroffice.misc [1].

I got more than twenty answers up to now.
There are 12 persons who still write in old binary formats (2 in
business) and 10 who do not write in old binary formats. Some of them
use StarOffice5.2. Reasons for using StarOffice5.2 are macros, document
templates, export of Writer tables to HTML, and old hardware.
21 persons want, that the actual office suite is able to read the old
formats, for some of them an extension would be sufficient. Some will
not convert their files because the result is not good enough. No one
wants to install an older Office-version separate for reading such files.

I know, that this group is special, but it shows, that the old binary
formats are read from archives and are still used in daily work.

Kind regards
Regina

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/de.comp.office-pakete.staroffice.misc/browse_thread/thread/5f9640a10810bf37/ceae66298b517069?hl=de&