[Libreoffice] Windows (MSVC) incremental build is broken.

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Dec 5 03:42:36 PST 2011

Hi Kendy, all,

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 02:03:11AM +0100, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> In the end, I worked that around using this:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=f259162cf511528c210eb71f51e63b5ff6838ff5
>
> I still believe the rewriting of the OUTDIR & friends in BuildDirs.mk is
> wrong, and should be avoided, but after trying to unwind that for an
> hour, I just gave up, and went the easy way...
>
> Bjoern - if you can sanitize this at some stage, that would be most
> appreciated.
>
> Tinderbox restarted, hopefully it will be green in the morning again.

Well, there is a good reason for paths in GNU make to be unix-paths. You define
a rule as:

C:B
    true

for target C depending on B. If you use windows native paths something like:

C:B:D
    true

is valid and can mean either target C depending on target B:D or target C:B
depending on target D. IIRC there are some heuristics in the DOS/Windows native
version GNU make, but I am not even sure if cypath has those too (and as this
is a cornercase: if they are reliable). Also, it is not only make itself that
has to take care of this, but also the little Perlhelpers etc that fiddle with
this. IMHO, keeping the paths unixy is the safest bet.

Best,

Bjoern