[Libreoffice] definition of line caps for dashed lines

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Tue Dec 6 12:08:46 PST 2011

Hi all,

now I want to start with defining the geometry of line caps and soon
struggle about definition problems:

The attribute svg:stroke-linecap is defined in ODF1.2 part1 section
20.164 using a reference to http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/
In svg the attribute stroke-linecap can be combined with attibute
stroke-dasharray. In this case both Seamonkey and Opera render it in the
way, that the caps are added to each dash. So I assume, that it is the
correct way for svg.

In ODF1.2 section 19.218.5 exists an attribute draw:style for the
element <draw:stroke-dash> with values 'rect' and 'round'. It defines
the shape of the dashes.

So the question is, how should the new property linecap work on dashed
lines? It is possible, that a document sets linecap = 'round' and dash
style = 'rect', which are contradictory. I have found no rule in the
ODF1.2 spec to solve it.

Does an ODF conform application exist, that has linecap already
implement? Otherwise we could suggest a solution to OASIS.

Microsoft Office has a line property "Endetyp" (German) with values
'Flach', 'Rund', and 'Rechteck' which corresponds to the linecap
property. Microsoft Office applies the property to each dash, but the
caps are not added to the dashes. Rounding is cut of the flat size of
the inner dashes and only added to the outer dashes.

Kind regards
Regina