[Libreoffice] Question about VersionInfo resource of Windows executables

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 06:13:42 PST 2011

Hi,

I was hacking on VersionInfo resource of Windows executables and I
noticed that DLLs built with dmake always have this resource, they
include solenv/inc/shlinfo.rc. But DLLs built with gmake does not have
VersionInfo resource by default. Is this normal? Executables are fully
functional without VersionInfo resource, but I think it is useful to
have it, because it contains file version, copyright notice etc. I
would like to ask, if it is by design, or if it is an undesired
omission.

Before I pushed my patch (3fbedc3e8f65c91999dcee42daa8312e387dcf40) I
build from scratch with MSVC successfully. However, I learned a few
hours later that I broke MinGW build.
http://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/cgi-bin/gunzip.cgi?tree=MASTER&brief-log=1323606001.25653#21811
I found it strange, because 1) I didn't see any problems at line 38 in
shlinfo.rc; 2) under MSVC no resource was built for ucbhelper. I think
this is related to the general question I asked above.

Could you please check this. Eventually I wanted to cherry-pick
3fbedc3e8f65c91999dcee42daa8312e387dcf40 to libreoffice-3-5, because
it improves VersionInfo a lot (especially regarding branding and file
version data).

Thanks,
Andras