[Libreoffice] dog jokes ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Dec 15 03:24:59 PST 2011

Hi Julien,

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 23:03 -0800, julien2412 wrote:
> This morning I'm still angry about this tracker.

	It is an easy hack :-) it is a somewhat light-hearted one designed to
attract and amuse volunteers - so yes it is partly a joke - but it's not
designed to make you angry. Its also an easy-to-do one. Personally I
rather like dogs too, and find it hard to understand why others would
not - then again, I don't quite get why you're angry - it'd be good to
understand that in more detail.

>  I read it yesterday and spoke my mind on IRC dev channel. I was
> glad I wasn't alone to think this easyhack is nonsense.
> I put a quick comment on this tracker but guys, I'd like to know
> your opinion about this even it's not a "dev" subject.

	You actively want to stop someone else from replacing an image that
people almost never see (that may cause offence to some of our users),
with another image that people almost never see (that is far less likely
to offend anyone) :-) ?

	Other examples of this sort of gut-wrenching problem comes around flags
and/or maps. As soon as you put a map anywhere with borders on it - you
offend someone ;-) this is why airlines flying over Asia tend to have
"no borders" maps[2] on their flights. Does that mean by removing them
we are not backing A.B.C democracy's claim over D.E.F totalitarian
state's claim to G.H.I chunks of strategically important land ? you just
can't win here really. How about flags - do we, or do we not recognise
Taiwan as a nation worthy of a flag: whatever the choice is you get to
offend someone. In these cases, mostly people don't ship flags, or don't
put borders on etc. it's a bit of a lame-ass cop-out, for sure - but it
helps us work together.

	Anyhow, the easy-hack is more trivial to fix than to discuss at
length :-) Hopefully this helps convince you that I'm not some sort of
illiberal ogre suggesting an easy easy hack like that ? :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika is rather interesting.
[2] - not just sitting on the fence: there is no fence ! :-)