[Libreoffice] [MacOS] Horizontal cursor positioning in justified text

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Thu Dec 22 00:27:40 PST 2011

Hi James,

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 20:56 +1300, James C wrote:
> Justified text changes the kerning (space between letters) of words on
> a line.  The cursor positioning in writer seems to assume, falsely,
> that all of the adjustment happens in the spaces between words.  So
> the cursor ends up in the middle of, or on the wrong side of, letters.
>  This matters to me because I write texts for a university which
> requires justified paragraphs

> Questions:
>   - is anybody currently working on this?  (If so, they should
> continue, and I should work on something else.)

I know nobody working on that ATM, feel free to go ahead with that.

>   - does anybody have hints, for where I should start reading the code?
>     (I suspect pango, in which case I may end up trying to push
> changes to them; are they receptive?)

You can have a look at this unfinished patch:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/build/tree/patches/dev300/vcl-kerning-fix.diff

It may give you some hints about where to start.

>   - if I start working on this, should I record a bug?

Sure, it's always good to report a bug... who knows what will happen
later to this email ;)

Thanks for pushing the kerning further in Writer :)

--
Cedric