[Libreoffice] [libreoffice-l10n] Re: Mac builds / lang-packs ...

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+ooofuture at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 8 07:46:59 PST 2011

Hi *,

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> wrote:
>>
>>        Would it not be better in 3.4 (when we have solved the size issues) to
>> have a single download (like Windows) that includes all the languages,
> +1
> It is fine, OOo did it that way.

No, not at all, OOo did *not* include all languages into a single installer.

The counter-question to that user at fosdem would have been "Would you
be OK with downloading more than twice of the current size in order to
only having to install one package?"

And to changing the installer type:
This would have major drawbacks as well.

* You have to build the installer as root/admin user
* Installing multiple versions is more difficult, as is choosing a
destination for the installation
* You cannot install as regular user (you always have to identify as
administrator)
(authentication is done before being able to select a target-directory)

Drag-and-Drop installers are the preferred installation method.

But those technical issues aside, I'm against bundling all languages,
for the size reasons. I don't like it on windows, and I also do so on
other platforms...

ciao
Christian