[Libreoffice] [libreoffice-l10n] Re: Mac builds / lang-packs ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Feb 8 13:33:20 PST 2011

Hi Christian,

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 16:46 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> wrote:
> >>        Would it not be better in 3.4 (when we have solved the size issues) to
> >> have a single download (like Windows) that includes all the languages,
..
> No, not at all, OOo did *not* include all languages into a single installer.

	So - thus far we have:

	Norbert, Thorsten and
	Nguyen Vu Hung & Martin Srebotnjak

	pro this, and you against it. So - looking at your rational:

> The counter-question to that user at fosdem would have been "Would you
> be OK with downloading more than twice of the current size in order to
> only having to install one package?"

	So - I guess he would have said "yes", but he is perhaps an outlier;
then again - why do you think it would be more than twice the current
size ? [ clearly we would split the help packs as on windows ].

	The Mac OSX no-lang  installer is currently 180Mb
	The Windows all-lang installer is currently 215Mb

	That looks like 20% larger to me - for all languages; and given the
existing 15Mb lang+help packs on Mac, the difference between
distributing l10n+help together, and bundling all l10n, while splitting
help (assuming most people don't download extra help-packs) is: 10%
[ not a like for like comparison but not a huge growth ;-].

	The good news is, that in 3.3.1 we will save another handful of
megabytes from the multi-lang install set[1] - so it is sub 20%, and by
3.4 I hope to be very similar in size to the equivalent OO.o with no
languages bundled.

	So - I agree; if it were double the size it would be bad :-) but are
you completely opposed to a 20% growth, for much greater convenience for
the common case ?

> And to changing the installer type:

	No idea about that - it sounds bad from your description :-)

> But those technical issues aside, I'm against bundling all languages,
> for the size reasons. I don't like it on windows, and I also do so on
> other platforms...

	Heh - so; what I hear here is:

	"if you can fix the size, we should do it"

	is that fair ? if so, it sounds like an issue to fix in 3.4.

	ATB,

		Michael.

[1] - unless that is consumed by new languages, lets see.