[Libreoffice] Change executable/sh names

Jesús Corrius jesus at softcatala.org
Sun Jan 16 06:23:18 PST 2011

Hi Pedro,

2011/1/16 Pedro Lino <pedlino at gmail.com>:
> Hi Jesús
>
>> > I'm afraid it's not fixed yet. I think the problem is that e.g. ODS is
>> > associated with OOo's scalc as the default application and to LibO's
>> > scalc
>> > as an alternate program. These are not stored in the SAME registry Key.
>>
>> Yes, should be this way: one as the default application and the other
>> one as alternate. The problem is that LibO should be the default and
>> it's only the alternate?
>
> No that's ok. It just depends on the order it was installed. That is not an
> issue.
>

>> > For xls which is associated with MS Excel (on my system),  both OOo and
>> > LibO
>> > are alternate programs. Since there can be only one entry for scalc.exe
>> > in
>> > Open With there seems to be no way around this (at least for people who
>> > are
>> > still holding to MS Office, that is)
>>
>> This is made on purpose on both OOo and LibO. I don't know why, but I
>> guess the reason behind it is to not "steal" the file associations of
>> MS Office because the users complained. If Office is not present in
>> your system, the behavior is the expected.
>>
>> If this behavior has to be changed (no strong opinion) I would
>> consider it a different task, or at least a different patch.
>
> This is not what I meant. You can make the files associated with LibO (there
> is an option in the installer).
>
> My point is: If a user has MS Office installed and wants to test an Open
> Source office suite, he can't install both OpenOffice and LibreOffice
> because since both have the same executable names, they can't be
> simultaneously in "Open With" (for MS Office documents only). Since
> OpenOffice is older, I think it is more likely that he was installed first
> so LibO won't even have a chance (at least for users that open files instead
> of opening an application and then opening a file)

I spent an hour installing, uninstalling and updating OOo and my
latest LibO build in a machine with MS Office and it works well for
me, I mean there are both LibO and OOo in the "Open With" menu in a MS
Office document. And you can update and uninstall them and everything
works as expected. I don't know why is not working for you :(

--
Jesús Corrius <jesus at softcatala.org>
Document Foundation founding member