[Libreoffice] An image editing extension for writer

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Jan 18 03:02:47 PST 2011

Hi Lakmal,

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 02:32 +0530, lakmal padmakumara wrote:
> I'm engaging in developing an extension(OXT) for writer
> which allows users to

	Wow :-) there are some great features here - and lots of good work. I
love the effort you've put in :-)

	Personally - (as other people have mentioned) - I would love to have
much of this functionality integrated into every LibreOffice copy we
ship. We have a number of these features already present in the
'Picture' dialog in writer (crop, flip and so on) - but these are not
present in calc and draw/impress (as far as I recall) which is sad.

>     * Download images to the app directly from Flickr.com

	This is sweet :-) there was a chunk of work done by a GSOC student,
that needs completing around the gallery - to allow clipart images to be
downloaded; and I suspect that this integration would build on top of
that really nicely: are you interested in helping to complete and expand
that work ?

> You need Java Run Time (JRE) in order to use this product

	And of course; we'd tend to prefer things written in C++, and
integrated into the core (as has been discussed).

> As this is my first step towards this wonderful and giant Open source
> developing community ,I will be really glad if you can hit me back
> with any feed backs .Please comment on the above pages mentioning any
> drawbacks/bugs/improvements .

	So - first - be encouraged :-) it looks like a fun extension to have
written, and a testament to your progamming skill. Of course, from a
user-experience perspective, I think we want to focus on improving the
integrated feature set, rather than providing (better) duplicates
outside - having two ways to do everything: one better, one worse in the
product just confuses people :-)

	Thanks !

		Michael.