[Libreoffice] web based libre office

Ged Wed gedw99 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 06:06:24 PST 2011

Hey all,

whats the support for doing a web based open office ?
Ajax based with a restful JSON or XML model.

I am asking because this seems like such a good move.
Libre Office would then have a very compelling solution that neither
google Docs or MS Office can really compete against.

It also allows "freedom Box" principles, because you can stick on it
on your home server and access it from anywhere.

As far as Architecture my high level ideas are:
1. Very chatty to the server. The idea is to do as little special code
for the web based version. So whatever ever calls the client currently
does we try to imitate that.
- what is important is that both the fat client and the thin client
are both adapted towards the client / server model together. This
makes both version easy to maintain, change control, testing etc

2. there are some amazing web frameworks with real time automatic binding etc.
AngularJS is probably the best one i can think of for a project like
this.. The binding mechanism is so elegant and simple.
- It also allows for collaboration using web sockets etc very easily
without allot of data mapping under the hood.

Of there is already a group of people etc that are driving towards
this type of objective please introduce me to you :)

Regards

Gerard Webb