[Libreoffice] web based libre office

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Jan 24 07:03:16 PST 2011

Hi Ged,

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 15:06 +0100, Ged Wed wrote:
> whats the support for doing a web based open office ?
> Ajax based with a restful JSON or XML model.

	Well, it is not an impossibly bad idea :-)

> I am asking because this seems like such a good move.
> Libre Office would then have a very compelling solution that neither
> google Docs or MS Office can really compete against.

	Riight; except they are already in the market place - which makes us at
least two years away from there, even if we had a product now :-)

> - what is important is that both the fat client and the thin client
> are both adapted towards the client / server model together. This
> makes both version easy to maintain, change control, testing etc

	Well - since we have a fat client; I would personally focus on two
things:

	a) feature parity between fat and web client
		+ no-one else does this.
		+ fat client for off-line, web for (who? ;-)

	b) abandon hope of off-line web editing: that's why you have the
	   fat client right ? :-)

	which means, we have to re-use the fat client on the web server; that
means all sorts of good things: we need to make it smaller, more
reliable, faster to start, etc. etc.

	and it also makes some things a lot easier; IMHO doing remote rendering
by cutting at VCL and proxying rendering (wherever possible) to a remote
canvas, -might- work in semi-linear time.

	I'm thinking a re-hash of:

	http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2010/11/23/gtk3-vs-html5/

	Though of course VCL's rendering APIs are (now) substantially less
pleasant than gtk+'s.

	HTH,

		Michael.