[Libreoffice] Patches by two persons?

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Thu Jan 27 08:51:35 PST 2011

Hi Soeren,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 01:57:27PM +0100, Soeren Moeller <soerenmoeller2001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question on, which approach LibO prefers for patches prepared
> by two persons together, the reason being that I do most of my patches
> working together with a friend in some "pair programming" like style.

I don't think there is a convention for this in the LibreOffie community
yet - though other projects tend to use the Signed-off-by lines (git
commit -s) to indicate that the author is not the only developer who
created the patch. That could be used here as well, I guess.

> Until now we have committed the patches, by me committing them, but as
> it seems we are doing a lot of patches, it would be nice to know what
> is the preferred way to do it:
> - Should we put both our names in the git patch file (this is easy to do)?
> - Should we just use one of our email addresses for the git patch
> file, or is it preferably to make a common email address for this
> purpose?
> - Should just one of us send the patches to the mailing list, or
> should we do this from a common email address?

Yep, if you put both names in the commit message, that should do it, I
think. The From of the mail in which you send the patch as an
attachment is not really important - and creating a new email address
just for this purpose sounds an overkill.

> - How do we best indicate that we both but the patch under (LGPLv3+ /
> MPL), mentioning it explicitly in the patch mail, or is there some
> easier way?

So far I saw that people mention this in new files and in the mail of
the first patch they sent - more is probably unnecessary.

(These are just my thoughts, someone from the SC may correct me, of
course.)