[Libreoffice] Installation instructions for source code release

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Jan 28 02:03:42 PST 2011

Hi Francois,

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 10:27 +0100, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> Well, I may become a package maintainer in the future but for that I need
> to be able to build LO from the released sources first.

	Sure ;-) so what I suggest you do is take a look at eg. Rene's debian
packages, or Caolan's RedHat ones - that do a straight-through build,
and get inspired by them ;-) try here:

	http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=libreoffice.git;a=tree

> Git is fine for real development but I'm afraid it may be too steep for
> me now; I'd like to play it safe, try to build a somewhat stable version
> without too much bugs. Maybe write a patch or two if something doesn't work.

	Sure, sure - but I think you will find (with the pace of change), that
working on master is better: it is already easier to build master than
'stable' (though it does break occasionally), and it is far easier to
create a patch to submit from git: "g diff" will extract all your
changes, vs. having to do some diff -r's :-)

> There has to be an intermediary step between binary users and seasoned
> developers...

	Sure - and we are trying to fill out this niche; primarily by moving
(slowly) towards a split build [ in fact openSUSE does this already ],
whereby you can re-build and develop only one piece at a time - which is
quicker: ie. just re-compile 'writer'.

	Which is (at root) the background as to why there are so many things to
download ;-) - just a result of that work being in progress still.

	HTH,

		Michael.