[Libreoffice] Installation instructions for source code release

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 01:48:54 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Francois Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 01:06:31AM -0600, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM, David Dumaresq <dfdumaresq at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > here's where I have gone to get started:
>> >        http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Native_Build
>> >
>> > You'll need to install git to get the source, so don't worry about manually downloading files. Anyway, it's all explained in the link,
>>
>> Francois, note that this will help you compile the current development
>> branch, if you want to build 3.3.0.4 -- and exactly that -- yourself,
>
> That's right, I'd like to build the release.
> I'm not interested in git or bleeding-edge development for now.
>
>> you need to
>> draw you inspiration from
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Old_How_to_build.
>
> Thanks for the link.
>
>> Building from tar.gz is not well documented, because most people that
>> build from source, usually have a strong incentive to use git,
>> and the few that actually use tar.gz are - maybe -  distribution
>> maintainers, which are pretty familiar with the subject matter to
>> start with.
>
> Well, I may become a package maintainer in the future but for that I need
> to be able to build LO from the released sources first.
> Git is fine for real development but I'm afraid it may be too steep for
> me now; I'd like to play it safe, try to build a somewhat stable version
> without too much bugs. Maybe write a patch or two if something doesn't work.

using git doesn't mean that you have to build the dev branch. you can
use git ans build release code
and git is really not that hard, esepecially for what you need:

The hard part here is the fact that in our project we have 19-20 git
repos (and therefore as many src-tarball) AND we changed
a bit their organization between 3.3 and the curent dev-branch

Furthermore, you will more likely to find help if you _do_ use git
than if you use a build method that very few other people use.
so I strongly encourage you to bite the bullet and use git for your build

Norbert