[Libreoffice] LibreOffice and (La)Tex

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sat Jan 29 13:58:59 PST 2011

On 28/01/11 09:21, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 02:52 +0300, Alexander wrote:
>> I want to suggest to add in LO support LaTeX as formulas generator.
>> Instead or jointly of Math.
> ..
>> Currently, LO inherited old non-wide used StarOffice syntax for formulas.
>
> 	So - it is clear that the LaTeX syntax is well know; however it is also
> clear that we cannot import all of TeX into LibreOffice. Could we make
> this a problem of data input, and perhaps do some coercion under the
> hood into our MathML-like representation ?
>
> 	Anyhow - the math engine lives in starmath/ do have a poke in there,
> and see what can be done - even a proof of concept to convert the most
> simple LaTeX formulae to starmath form (and back) would be fun to see.

Dunno quite how it works, but take a look at the lilypond integration
with OOo.

Lilypond always USED to use TeX as its back-end, and there's some way
you can put lilypond code into OOo that then calls lilypond (and TeX) to
generate a graphic that gets pulled back into OOo. It's used for
producing complicated scores.

Cheers,
Wol