[Libreoffice] MS-Windows : about dictionaries installation

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 03:35:27 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Jean-Baptiste Faure
<jbf.faure at orange.fr> wrote:
> Le 30/01/2011 10:54, Jesús Corrius a écrit :
>> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Jean-Baptiste Faure
>> <jbf.faure at orange.fr> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Many MS-Windows users are surprised that LibreOffice default
>>> installation contains all dictionaries although they have the UI only in
>>> their locale and English.
>>> I think that default installation should contain only dictionaries in
>>> the same languages as the UI.
>>>
>>> Is it a bug or a feature ? ;-)
>>> If it a bug I will file a bug report. If it is a feature, please explain
>>> the rationale.
>> Doesn't work in places where you have more than one official language.
>> You need dictionaries in several languages, not only the one of your
>> UI.
>
> Yes, but why ~20 dictionaries ? Do you know peoples who need and are
> able to write twenty different languages ?
>
> I think the best user friendly installation method should be to ask the
> user to choose itself the dictionnaries he wants, whatever the
> installation method chosen is (default or custom). With two buttons
> "deselect all" and "select all".

Using the same argument, I don't know many people that use 20+ file
formats, yet we install filtera for a bunch of these, without a panel
to select/deselect them
furthermore, the person that do the installation is not necessarily
the best qualified to determine what language the end-user _should_
need.

Note that having a panel to select/deselect would not improve the size
of the installation packages (it could reduced the size of the
_installed_ packages),
which is what the original complaint was about

Norbert