[Libreoffice] Kicking off 3rdparty packages

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sun Jan 30 13:11:51 PST 2011

* Tor Lillqvist <tlillqvist at novell.com> schrieb:

> Please, are you talking about third-party source code included
> in the LibreOffice source code (git repositories), source code
> downloaded as part of the build process (unless one tells it
> to use a "system" library), or binaries from either of those
> included in a binary package? Or all of these?

*All* source packages.

Binariy packages are an entirely different issue, as they're
always generated for a specific platform (eg. for old legacy
platforms w/o proper package management, it's easy to set up
an minimal solution that pulls together everything into a
superbig selfcontained binpkg).

> > Up-to-date software can also be used on old Unixes / Linux
> > systems without too much pain.
>
> Sure, as long as you know what you are doing and packages
> from various 3rd-party repositories (or self-built) are
> in sync with what LibreOffice expects.

It's all about proper interfaces. Just always sit on the recent
stable interfaces and install missing packages when necessary.

> But I do think that somebody running some random old Unix
> box would prefer to get an all-inclusing LibreOffice package.

As said above: code some little glue scripts which create some
prefix installation image.

> Instead of complex advice like "additionally you should install
> foolib from this site, but be careful not to let it overwrite
> the binary incompatible build of foolib from this other site
> that you might have already"

No, simply state the depencies and let the distros handle the rest.
For old legacy systems, simply create an own micro-distro.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt at metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666