[Libreoffice] Kicking off 3rdparty packages

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sun Jan 30 13:26:01 PST 2011

* Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> schrieb:

> For a distro build configuring with --with-system-libs will generally
> do-the-right-thing.

What happens when the software depends on some ancient, long solved
bug that's maybe still in the old bundled version ? You'll have to
support both the ancient bundled and the current deps, which over
time increases maintenance overhead exponentially.

> For a universal Linux build that has to run everywhere we can probably
> at this stage definitely default to --with-system zlib, jpeg and some
> other ones where the ABI have been stable for yonks and are ubiquitous.

Is there any reason to have to still carry around ancient buggy
bundled zlib ?

Look, the generic case is a system which already has the required
libs installed (or allows to install them trivially). Old legacy
platforms are the specific cases. For those cases you can add some
script that does a prefix build/install of the missing packages
before building LO itself, and then creates a selfcontained
blob package.

> The clone dirs are split into libs-extern and libs-extern-sys, I imagine
> the thinking at the moment is that one ones in libs-extern-sys are the
> ones that would reasonably be expected to be preinstalled these days,
> though f.e.

Seems so. For example, openssl can be expected to exist on any sane
system in our scope. And here it is *IMPORTANT* to use an up-to-date
version. As an enterprise operator, I'd *NEVER* install any package
that brings it's own (outdated) openssl copy, for essential security
reasons.

> a) hunspell sometimes changes its ABI to an Libo build against one
> version of it may not be able to run against another.

Always rebuild on the individual target distro's latest stable line.
Modern distros support MVCC installations for such cases or have
other mechanisms for solving such problems.

> b) major version of icu always change their ABI, so a Libo build against
> one e.g. icu 4.4 will not work if deployed against 4.2 etc.

Exactly the case for an MVCC installation. Quite common, boring topic.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt at metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666