[Libreoffice] Kicking off 3rdparty packages

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Sun Jan 30 14:04:16 PST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 22:26 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> schrieb:
>
> > For a distro build configuring with --with-system-libs will generally
> > do-the-right-thing.
>
> What happens when the software depends on some ancient, long solved
> bug that's maybe still in the old bundled version ? You'll have to
> support both the ancient bundled and the current deps, which over
> time increases maintenance overhead exponentially.

That's the argument in favour for using --with-system-libs and its
definitely the right choice for distros. Little bit trickier when
putting on a ISV hat and trying to target all Linux distros

> > For a universal Linux build that has to run everywhere we can probably
> > at this stage definitely default to --with-system zlib, jpeg and some
> > other ones where the ABI have been stable for yonks and are ubiquitous.
>
> Is there any reason to have to still carry around ancient buggy
> bundled zlib ?

Windows. For Linux, yeah zlib and jpeg and a few others are definitely
indefensible.

> Seems so. For example, openssl can be expected to exist on any sane
> system in our scope.

Sure, and the xpdf thing is a bit of a disaster as well.

> > a) hunspell sometimes changes its ABI to an Libo build against one
> > version of it may not be able to run against another.
>
> Always rebuild on the individual target distro's latest stable line.

What's the target distro that the universal build on e.g. the website
download site should pick. Hard choice. That's the catch. Pick e.g.
RHEL-6 and the packages can't work on RHEL-5 seeing as they have
different icu versions and so on. We should nail the easy ones anyway,
but I don't think we can nail *all* of them.

We also definitely need to update to the latest stable versions of all
the libs-extern/libs-extern-sys that we do have.

C.