[Libreoffice] Kicking off 3rdparty packages

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 02:21:40 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 01:32 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> One binpkg for all distros ?! The whole idea of this is stupid.
>
> > What's the target distro that the universal build on e.g. the website
> > download site should pick.
>
> Trivial: your own microdistro. (prefix build approach, etc).

Honestly, how is that supposed to work. It's definitely the case that
distros should build libreoffice --with-system-libs, but if we provide
binary install packages available for download from
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ then we either

a) don't provide Linux packages at all, and rely on distros building it,
which is a tenable argument.
b) build one/two Linux Universal packages that target all/most of them,
and I'll all in favour of dropping the obvious libs which we can now
rely on being installed everywhere, but I disagree that its doable for
all third-party libs, with icu being an obvious to me example.
c) build a massive pile of Linux packages for loads of different
distros.

If we build packages that target a micro-distro with e.g. icu4.4 on it
and configure it --with-system-libs then those packages will not install
without libicu4.4 available on the users real computer. We either bundle
it in, or they have to get it from somewhere else.

C.