[Libreoffice] [GSoC] removing preload library

Matúš Kukan matus.kukan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 03:41:20 PDT 2011

Hi there,

On 27 June 2011 13:20, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> wrote:
>> But sometimes there also exist things like in:
>> http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/components/extensions/source/preload/services.cxx#59
>> That doesn't seem interesting to me, but I don't know, maybe it
>> actually does something relevant.
>
>        Ooh - you discovered some more junk code - nice. It would be wonderful
> if you could hunt down and kill any uses of this 'preload' code - we
> don't do OEM preloads, similarly we don't have product registration
> either so killing both of these components and their related scp2/ would
> be nice:
>
> STD_LIB_FILE( gid_File_Lib_Preload, preload)
> SPECIAL_COMPONENT_LIB_FILE( gid_File_Lib_Productregistration, productregistration.uno )
>
>        would help to shrink the codebase, distributed binary size and compile
> time.

Well, I had a look at preload.
It's used just in desktop/source/so_comp/socomp.component and that
component is used just in:
- desktop for http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/libs-core/desktop/source/app/app.cxx#1675
    - maybe CheckInstallation should be now always true?
- desktop, sfx2, similar checkOEM methods
    - http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/libs-core/desktop/source/app/app.cxx#CheckOEM
      - I'm not sure about this one. Whether that should be always
true or false or not removed.
    - the same with
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/libs-core/sfx2/source/appl/shutdowniconw32.cxx#445

So, if it's possible to get rid of checkOEM and CheckInstallation
methods we could remove preload.component and also socomp.component
and related source files, libraries, ...
Is it possible? I mean, both should be always true?

Thanks,
Matus