[Libreoffice] Preparing announcement of the 3.4.2 release

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 26 04:18:49 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 11:23 +0200, Cor Nouws wrote:
>>     As explained in my initial mail, the term came up in the discussion
>> around the 3.4.0 release. Since we say that a point-zero release
>> definitely is not to be used in enterprise environments, that also hold
>> the expectation that we can advise a later version as such.
>
> If the criteria is a rule of thumb of avoid automatically switching over
> to X.Y.Z where Z == 0, then that's fair enough, seeing as that's a sort
> of global rule of thumb for software :-)

But obviously not enough. The bug that made MS-Office flag LO-produced
files as corrupt for example is one of those bugs that prevent use in
business when you have to exchange ms-office formats, thus 3.4.1 still
deserves that warning.

>>     If you see it as exact science: yes. But I do not see labelling a
>> version as 'enterprise ready' as that.
>
> Hmm, exact science sounds so much better to me than arbitrary
> gut-feeling.

Forget about the term. Think of it as "would have been the version
released in OOo times with the known bugs".
That ultimately is what we are compared with after all (and people
already forgot about 2.0, so don't take that as an example)

And now to the decision: How should the release be flagged on the download-page?
* yellow exclamation mark/warning as it is now.
http://www.libreoffice.org/themes/libo/images/warning.png
* blue info / i icon
http://www.libreoffice.org/themes/libo/images/information.png
* green tick/OK icon like 3.3.3
http://www.libreoffice.org/themes/libo/images/tick.png

Or put it more simple:
Do you recommend users to update to 3.4.2 or do you still refer to it
as "for early-adaptors/curious users"

ciao
Christian