[Libreoffice] Trouble building the redland module on mac

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:03:52 PDT 2011

Hi William, *,

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM, William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been attempting to get LibreOffice master built on my Mac running 10.6.
> Per the instructions on the wiki, I installed XCode with the 10.4 SDK option
> and the various ports mentioned here
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Install_Mac_OS_10.6.4_Dependencies

That page contains lots of useless and unneeded stuff.

> (I used macports instead of manual installation but I got the impression
> that's ok).

And actually using macports or fink or darwinports make it more
difficult to compile.
You're example is once again prove of this:

> I've been stuck with a problem building the redland module though. It seems
> to want to compile something called 'raptor' using a system version of
> libxml, and is getting stuck:

It's pointless to install libxml, wen libxml is already provided by
Mac OS X/Xcode itself. this is calling for trouble/incompatibilities.

>  Any ideas on what the problem could be here?

The additional stuff pulled in by macports when trying to install the
listed dependencies (that again were wrong, you don't need libgmp,
coreutils, automake, m4. XCode already comes with everything that is
needed. Just use --disable-mozilla and you don't need anything in
addition.)

> Do we need to somehow change this to include LIBXML_CFLAGS and LIBXML_LIBS?
> Just changing CPPFLAGS to "-nostdinc $(INCLUDE) $(LIBXML_CFLAGS)"
> unfortunately didn't seem to help. Any advice on how to tackle this
> appreciated.

Easiest is to remove/hide the pkg-config utitily, so that configure
doesn't even have a chance of detecing those "alien" libraries.

I'll rewrite the wiki page to only list the actual dependencies
instead of all that useless stuf... Sorry for the inconvenience

ciao
Christian