[Libreoffice] Proposal to join Apache OpenOffice

Pantelis Koukousoulas pktoss at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 01:46:21 PDT 2011

2011/6/4 Jesús Corrius <jesus at softcatala.org>:
> As if understanding and using the "old" OOo build mechanisms which have been
> somewhat adapted at LO wasn't hard enough.

As a user (with just a tiny contribution) I really wish that OO.o
would just die already.

It is not "just" that the current community are much more friendly and
open to contributions
now, it is also the codebase that is starting to become more sane and
organized / accessible.

In a while, it may even build without requiring your own Cray
supercomputer and two PhDs.
Why would people want to go back to the java-dominated "obscure build
system land" that
has cost so much to the project already?

With TDF I think LibreOffice can make the equivalent of Netscape ->
Firefox transition.
For me the sane thing for ASF is to either donate the OO.o
name/trademarks in turn to
TDF, so that maybe we can have the equivalent of gcc -> egcs -> gcc
migration and
the existing marketing efforts for OO.org don't go to waste, or just
drop the whole thing
and let it die in peace.

I hope even IBM can see the light and start contributing to
LibreOffice instead of
trying to maintain the ugly beast that was OO.o on its own, or trying
to divide the
community (and thus generating bad publicity for both IBM and Oracle in the end,
see LWN).

Go Libre Office! We users love you! :) :)

---
Pantelis