[Libreoffice] [GSoC] Re: KCachegrind

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Jun 6 14:29:41 PDT 2011

Hi Matus,

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 21:40 +0200, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> could you please have a look at
> http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/html/CallgrindFormat.html
> 1.4 Extended Example

	Looks fun :-)

> If we would like to 'hide' just func1 there is no way to include its
> cost into main because it's calling func2, which is not hidden.

	True - then again, we could make func1 of zero cost - pushing all its
self cycles up into its caller (?) so it still exists in the call tree,
but with an apparently instant effect ? ;-)

> We could add all its inclusive cost to main but that would be
> what we want? Maybe yes, if we want to hide objects (libraries)
> that are calling just themselves and hidden objects.
> And that's probably the case. Is it?

	So - I guess the problem is then when functions call themselves,
perhaps some recursive 'qsort' caller when glibc is hidden ( or whatever
similar madness ;-).

> And do we want also loose information about calling such function?
> Like it was just jump into another place or something like that and
> still the same function?

	Not sure :-) I guess we prolly want to build (or re-use) some simple
test code - does kcachegrind have a couple of test libraries that it can
be used to profile ?

	Thanks,

		Michael.