[Libreoffice] Fwd: development summary: year 2011, week 23 - into wiki

LeMoyne Castle lemoyne.castle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:29:14 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Petr Mladek <pmladek at suse.cz> wrote:

> John LeMoyne Castle píše v Po 13. 06. 2011 v 15:27 -0700:
> > Hi Petr,

> Anything else that should go into -wikify?

The [wiki] output might be quite
> similar after all.

I will add a new format option

> Note that I use the command also the generate commit statistics for
>  releases. It needs to filter the log also by tags, ...
>  Please, keep this possibility.

Got it.

> I suggest to separate the date and output format definitions.

Will do

> Anyway, I do not say that the current options are the best way to
>  define all the things. Feel free to come up with a better proposal.

A proposal that seems much better than my first thought:
I will tinker with lo-commit-stat but will try to avoid major refactor:
After poking at lo-commit-stat a little bit last night, I think the best
plan is to write a lo-commit-wikify wrapper that converts year&week to
git-args --after/since and --before/until and then calls lo-commit-stat .
The wrapper would also help us catch up with an -all [weeks] arg or some
such and drive lo-commit-stat through the branch tags separately. This step
through the branch/tags idea was so the log output doesn't have to be
rewritten or parsed.  But after re-reading the note above about --log-suffix
I see it may be easier that I thought...

The main additions in lo-commit-stat would be output changes: wiki formatted
lines (====headers for sub-repos), wrapping the bug numbers to wiki external
links and (maybe) log append
lo-commit-wikify would create the other parts of the wiki page before and
after the commit list from lo-commit-stat.

I will attempt some other improvements as well re: bug numbers and ordering
commits by time (so msgs like: fixed prev commit [/somebody] are clearer)
I will also look at  rolling-up some stats like: # commits and #changes

I will not do the extraction of common to all because there is also the case
of common to a few and -
you have reminded me that a) it isn't trivial and b) it will all be moot if
sub-repos are merged.

I do see that checking all branches for the presence of a patch or patch set
is valuable, but code config study/debug is different than this statistic
generator

CPAN provides access to handy week functions in DateTime so converting
week/year to start/end dates looks straightforward

> Also feel free to refactor the whole script. It is possible that you
>  would need another structure of the subroutines, more parameters, ...

I will try to avoid this if possible - at least on the first pass.
Perhaps in future after gaining experience

> I am looking forward to see changes from you.
>
>  Feel free to ask if you are in doubts with anything.

OK here goes...

I know I need to pull to get the latest commits.  After
$> ga pull -r
in a repo on <some branch>, do I have the commit info for *all*
branches/tags?

Thanks.
I will put your name on it.

--jlc LeMoyne