[Libreoffice] [REVIEW] Enable online update service

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Fri Jun 17 11:00:23 PDT 2011

Hi ,

Michael Meeks wrote (17-06-11 11:59)
> On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 14:58 -0300, Olivier Hallot wrote:
>> 1) If I have version 3.3.2, what will be the target version? 3.3.3 or
>> 3.4.x? In other words, what version path it will follow to upgrade?
>
> 	For 3.3.2 - nothing, since it doesn't ship with the patch that tests
> for the upgrade server :-)
> Wrt. the upgrade paths we recommend - we can work that out later of course

Not so sure if that is a wise approach.
This feature often brought no joy. Wrong information, not available
url's etc. I guess there is some work needed to make it work properly.
Either in the code, or on the server side...
I do not like to promote the idea that we offer (or in this special case
copy) features that are 80% ready.

> recommending something sensible, ie. not  recommending point-zero versions
> for everyone would be a good option IMHO ;-)

Indeed, above the already mentioned problem, we have the challenge to
make sure that the right user does find the right version for her situation.

Luckily there is useful information in the specs (which of course also
can be read from the code):
http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/onlineupdate/Software_Update.odt
Chapter 6 Technical Specification

>> 3) Can the URL for the download be acessible for the sysadmins? For
>> instance, it will be nice to point the upgrade package to an company
>> internal server rather than the internet (same xcd as above, with the
>> url)
>
> 	Good question; I imagine it is currently compiled in.
>
> 	These other features should be easy enough to implement; and it'd be
> great to have someone working on them - patches gratefully received.

The mere wish to have someone making a feature ready to use, is not
enough argument to put in a feature that is not ready to use, IMO.
Plus that the specs show that there is work to be done on the server side..

Kind regards,
Cor

--
  - Cor