[Libreoffice] [REVIEW] Enable online update service

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Fri Jun 17 12:05:46 PDT 2011

Hi Cor,

Cor Nouws píše v Pá 17. 06. 2011 v 20:00 +0200:

> >> 1) If I have version 3.3.2, what will be the target version? 3.3.3 or
> >> 3.4.x? In other words, what version path it will follow to upgrade?
> >
> > 	For 3.3.2 - nothing, since it doesn't ship with the patch that tests
> > for the upgrade server :-)
> > Wrt. the upgrade paths we recommend - we can work that out later of course
>
> Not so sure if that is a wise approach.
> This feature often brought no joy. Wrong information, not available
> url's etc. I guess there is some work needed to make it work properly.
> Either in the code, or on the server side...

I am sorry, but I don't really understand ;-)  The original question was
for which 'y' should we start recommending 3.(x+1).y, when the user has
3.x.z.

So far I tested that the thing 'behaves sensibly' - ie. does not bother
the user when the server is not available / returns 404, which is what
we want here.  The rest is just providing the right info on the server
side; the .php to do that will be something like 20-40 lines or so.  If
we find out there is something broken in 3.4.1 wrt. updates, we can just
explicitly return 404 for that version, and fix it for 3.4.2.

> http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/onlineupdate/Software_Update.odt
> Chapter 6 Technical Specification

This is an obsolete version, the new one is
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol

> >> 3) Can the URL for the download be acessible for the sysadmins? For
> >> instance, it will be nice to point the upgrade package to an company
> >> internal server rather than the internet (same xcd as above, with the
> >> url)
> >
> > 	These other features should be easy enough to implement; and it'd be
> > great to have someone working on them - patches gratefully received.
>
> The mere wish to have someone making a feature ready to use, is not
> enough argument to put in a feature that is not ready to use, IMO.

I overlooked this, sorry.  So it is configurable, just change the
UpdateURL value in versionrc / version.ini, and you are done.

> Plus that the specs show that there is work to be done on the server side..

We are not using the Hamburg server side for this at all; I have script
that will do it in my head, now just to type it ;-)

Regards,
Kendy