[Libreoffice] [REVIEW] Enable online update service

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Jun 17 12:28:46 PDT 2011

Hi Cor,

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 20:00 +0200, Cor Nouws wrote:
> > Wrt. the upgrade paths we recommend - we can work that out later of course
>
> Not so sure if that is a wise approach.

	Hey :-) so - first off, the plan is to only shipping the capability of
notifying for an update without immediately lighting up the update
recommendation server. Also - since we are shipping it only in one
version 3.4.1 - there is nothing to update to anyway ( unless you count
3.3.3 ;-). So the net effect will be (I think) nothing. We have a week+
to shake out any bugs in it.

> This feature often brought no joy. Wrong information, not available
> url's etc. I guess there is some work needed to make it work properly.
> Either in the code, or on the server side...

	Sure - so, as I understand it, the server is notified of the client
version, so we can build whatever matrix we like of recommended upgrades
(or none at all), based on the version they are using. That seems
flexible enough for what we want - and of course, we can decide that
matrix with some considerable thought later.

> Indeed, above the already mentioned problem, we have the challenge
> to make sure that the right user does find the right version for
> her situation.

	Of course - and we also have the existing challenge that people are not
updated, and are running old LibreOffice's with plenty of known bugs
fixed in them. ie. if we care about quality we want people to update
through release series .0 -> .1 -> .2 etc. Clearly sysadmins need to be
able to turn this off, as no doubt we'll do for the SUSE, RedHat, Ubuntu
etc. versions - but that is not a huge issue.

	So - is there still a problem ?

	ATB,

		Michael.