[Libreoffice] [REVIEW] Enable online update service

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Sat Jun 18 02:07:55 PDT 2011

Hi Kendy,

Jan Holesovsky wrote (17-06-11 21:05)
> Cor Nouws píše v Pá 17. 06. 2011 v 20:00 +0200:

>> Not so sure if that is a wise approach.
>> This feature often brought no joy. Wrong information, not available
>> url's etc. I guess there is some work needed to make it work properly.
>> Either in the code, or on the server side...
>
> I am sorry, but I don't really understand ;-)  The original question was
> for which 'y' should we start recommending 3.(x+1).y, when the user has
> 3.x.z.
>
> So far I tested that the thing 'behaves sensibly' - ie. does not bother
> the user when the server is not available / returns 404, which is what
> we want here.  The rest is just providing the right info on the server
> side; the .php to do that will be something like 20-40 lines or so.  If
> we find out there is something broken in 3.4.1 wrt. updates, we can just
> explicitly return 404 for that version, and fix it for 3.4.2.

I have no idea why there were trouble with it in the past. After
reporting few times, sometimes working correct and then not again, I
just stopped. I had the impression that it was language related.

>> http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/onlineupdate/Software_Update.odt
>> Chapter 6 Technical Specification
>
> This is an obsolete version, the new one is
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol

Indeed quite different. Thanks.

>>> 	These other features should be easy enough to implement; and it'd be
>>> great to have someone working on them - patches gratefully received.
>>
>> The mere wish to have someone making a feature ready to use, is not
>> enough argument to put in a feature that is not ready to use, IMO.
>
> I overlooked this, sorry.  So it is configurable, just change the
> UpdateURL value in versionrc / version.ini, and you are done.
>
>> Plus that the specs show that there is work to be done on the server side..
>
> We are not using the Hamburg server side for this at all; I have script
> that will do it in my head, now just to type it ;-)

If that is done before the release, it's ok of course.
And indeed there is no version available to point to immediately after
the release of 3.4.1. So there is another month.
And then, when 3.5. releases come, there must be a policy on if/when/how
to point from 3.4.x to 3.5.x

It is important though that it is clear that those have to be in place
timely and not 'later' or 'when someone comes with a patch'.

Kind regards,
Cor
--
  - Cor