[Libreoffice] automagic 'fix' in pre-commit hook considered harmful

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 07:23:48 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Tor Lillqvist <tlillqvist at novell.com> wrote:
>> Sure enough: do 2 changes in a file, in 2 separate hunk. in one of
>> these change add trailing spaces... then commit only that hunk -> the
>> second hunk 'disappear'
>
> The problem that I have noticed is when having changes to several files, but committing just some of the files => the other files are reset back to unchanged state. But I guess the mechanism behind this problem is the same as what you noticed?

Actually the bug was introduced by

bootstrap:c15f51baeba2485a35254be2b4dcfff7bc81a482

so it was only on master (not on the 3-4 branch)

and yes, it does result in the symptom you described.

Never-the-less I still think it is a 'Bad Thing(tm)' to have a
pre-commit hook altering on the fly what need to be committed... so I
suggest we stick with the 'warn but do no harm' approach (rather than
merely fixing/reverting the commit above).

Norbert