[Libreoffice] automagic 'fix' in pre-commit hook considered harmful

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Jun 22 14:33:48 PDT 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:23:48 -0500
Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Never-the-less I still think it is a 'Bad Thing(tm)' to have a
> pre-commit hook altering on the fly what need to be committed... so I
> suggest we stick with the 'warn but do no harm' approach (rather than
> merely fixing/reverting the commit above).

As somebody bitten hard by this behavior I can only say: Yes, please.

No hook should ever think itself to be clever enough to change state
without backup(*), even if it would be bugfree.

Best,

Bjoern

(*) And some obscure named file silently created in /tmp is not a
backup ....

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen