[Libreoffice] Potential Problems for LibreOffice on Mac with impending release of Lion OSX

Alexander Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 21:59:43 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I know this is likely to irk folks a little here, but has any thought
been given to the potential problems that the release of Mac OSX Lion is
going to cause to users of LibreOffice. Browsing the ESC meeting
summaries does not seem to indicate that this has been considered or
discussed yet, at least publicly. The only reason I ask, aside from the
fact that I (and others) will no doubt have to deal with the incoming
flak on the users list and on bugzilla is that the people over at
NeoOffice have published this list of already solved problems and
potential other problems :

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Lion_Upgrade_Issues

Well, of course, we all know that Neo is more heavily dependent on Java
for the implementation of some of its functionality, and thus may be
impacted by Apple's switch to OpenJDK, but I'm more concerned about the
fact that, if the Neo team is to be believed (and I'm willing to admit
some hype here on Neo's part), we will be using deprecated system
interfaces for copy/pasting, and text layout/rendering, and visual
display problems will be present, such as the OSX menubar and combo or
listboxes will not display or be updated correctly.

Additionally, it appears that Neo will implement the "Versions" feature
that Apple have built-in to OSX Lion, and has already re-introduced
native file locking (to be honest, I haven't tried this yet on my OSX
network).

Thoughts anyone ?

Alex