[Libreoffice] Windows installer size reduction effort - the compression theory

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Mar 3 01:41:04 PST 2011

Hi Kami,

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 00:14 +0100, Kálmán „KAMI” Szalai wrote:
> Compression time (in the tinderbox) was:
> runtime: 1087.37 (minutes)
> now:
> runtime: 1232.32 (minutes)

	So it takes another 2:30 or so extra ? sounds like quite a lot.

	Perhaps one thing you could do - would be to help dung out the
instsetoo_native/util dmake file, and check the tooling - such that we
can build several install sets in parallel - that would help
particularly wrt. help-packs etc. where we have 100 or so installer
files to package concurrently - and we have ~7 CPUs sitting idle while
it happens. Any chance of that ? until we fix that, I'd prefer to have
this only on master really - debugging the packaging phase is rather a
nightmare as it is without an extra two hour wait each time to see if it
succeeded :-)

> Is it okay for us? Or it is too big penalty? I asked Fridrich to make
> available the latest tb Windows build for download. I would like to
> check the installer size and performance.

	Sure; it'd be great to validate the win.

	Thanks,

		Michael.