[Libreoffice] Windows installer size reduction effort - the compression theory

Fridrich Strba fridrich.strba at graduateinstitute.ch
Mon Mar 7 03:24:09 PST 2011

Hi, all,

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 09:41 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Perhaps one thing you could do - would be to help dung out the
> instsetoo_native/util dmake file, and check the tooling - such that we
> can build several install sets in parallel - that would help
> particularly wrt. help-packs etc. where we have 100 or so installer
> files to package concurrently - and we have ~7 CPUs sitting idle while
> it happens. Any chance of that ? until we fix that, I'd prefer to have
> this only on master really - debugging the packaging phase is rather a
> nightmare as it is without an extra two hour wait each time to see if it
> succeeded :-)

I was finally able to set a tinderbox doing a release configuration
(modulo binfilter which I could not get to build for the while).

So, the binfilter-free all lang installer is about 180 MB which means
that it is more then 60 MB win compared to what we had before. So, it
will be under 200 MB even when I manage to make the binfilter build. I
think that there it starts to be reasonable to simply not package one
build of 104 languages and another of 56, but distribute just the big
one, which will be anyway smaller then the "little" one we have now.

Once again, I am impressed by this one.

Cheers

F.