[Libreoffice] Calc Standard Filter behaviour

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Thu Mar 10 18:48:31 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 21:44 +0000, Tibby Lickle wrote:
> I've attached patch for the (embarrassingly simple) fix for the filter
> dialog as well as a German comment translation patch for the filter
> dialog cxx and hxx files - feel free to reject this because my German
> is pretty weak or if you'd rather have a larger chunk done at once.

Yes, both looks good.  And I love a single line solution!

But before I commit your patches, we'd like to confirm that you are
submitting your patches under LGPLv3+/MPL dual licenses.

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Kohei Yoshida <kyoshida at novell.com>
> wrote:
>         Now, to me the best solution is to *not* show any auto
>         completion value
>         in the text box itself, but to show a little popup box with
>         possible
>         auto-completion options to choose from, while leaving the
>         typed value in
>         the box intact.
>
> What I tried to say before I completely failed to use the mailing list
> properly was that I like this idea for a more advanced fix. It still
> notifies the user that these special values are available but it
> doesn't get in the way. It'd take quite a bit more difficult with a
> bit more involvement in libs-gui as far as I can tell but I wouldn't
> mind giving it a go if you still think it's a good idea.

Well, actually I've changed my mind.  I think my proposed solution
would've been a good one if we hadn't had the drop down list that
already shows candidate selections.  The drop down list already shows
all available selections, including the special options such as empty
and non-empty.

So, I'll retract my suggestion.  I'm convinced that the best solution
here is not to have auto completion.  Sometimes less is more. :-)

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc
<kyoshida at novell.com>